1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup olive oil
2 lemons (juice)
1 teaspoon salt
2 or 3 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
1 sprig parsley
1 celery top
1 teaspoon dried thyme
fennel sprig or fennel seeds* (optional)
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
dash of hot pepper sauce
12 small artichokes (about 2 inches) or 12 hearts
2 pounds large-stalked asparagus
12-16 small zucchini (about 2 inches)
12-16 whole baby carrots
1 pound small mushrooms
28-30 small white onions
1. Combine all the ingredients of the sauce and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes.
2. Add fresh vegetables and simmer until just tender. Do not overcook.
3. Let them cool in the sauce.
4. Serve chilled with some sauce spooned over; or drain, and serve with vinaigrette sauce. Or, the vegetables can be removed when they're done, the sauce cooked down until somewhat reduced, then cooled and poured over the vegetables.
5. Top with chopped parsley, chives and fresh tarragon.