1/2 pound shallots, chopped
1 large yellow onion, halved lengthwise and sliced thin
2 bunches leeks (about 3 pounds) tops dis-carded, halved lengthwise, washed well and chopped
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound small white onions, skinned, with ends cut off
2 cups French cream (from BTVC)
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1/4 cup parsley, minced
grated swiss cheese
1. In large skillet, cook shallots, yellow onions, leeks and garlic in butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until onions are softened.
2. Add small white onions and cook mixture, stirring until small onions are almost tender.
3. Stir in cream, bring to boil and simmer mixture until cream has thickened.
4. Season with salt and pepper and stir in parsley.
5. Onions may be prepared up this point several hours in advance and kept covered loosely.
6. Spoon mixture into buttered 1 1/2 to 2 quart baking dish, sprinkle grated cheese lightly over top and bake in oven at 475 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 20 minutes or until cream is bubbling around the edges and cheese is melted.
7. Serve immediately.