2 bunches beets (approximately 8 beets in all)
2 quarts boiling water
1 teaspoon salt (optional)
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup lemon juice
1. Cut the tops off about 2 inches above the beets. Reserve the tops for later use. (Be sure to do this before scrubbing them.)
2. After scrubbing carefully, place the beets in a pot, cover with cold water, and cook for 15 minutes or until fork-tender.
3. Meanwhile, wash the beet leaves very carefully and chop them fine. Be sure to include the stems: they have good nutrients that shouldn't be wasted.
4. When the beets are cooked, drain the liquid into a soup pot. Slip the skins from the beets and discard; then grate the beets into a bowl.
5. Grate the onion into the grated beets. Add this to the liquid in which the beets were cooked.
6. Add the chopped beet tops and the boiling water.
7. Add salt if you wish, and bring to a boil; then reduce and simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Beat the eggs in a bowl. Add the honey and lemon juice. Stir a little of the hot liquid from the borscht into the eggs. Mix it up quickly so the egg doesn't cook. Pour this mixture into the soup pot and - you've got borscht.
9. Serve cold with a spoonful of sour cream or yogurt, or hot (with a boiled potato - not SCD!).