1 egg (beaten)
3 cups almond flour
1/3 cup cold butter cut into pieces
1/4 cup honey
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 12 cups frozen wild blueberries (use 11 cups and save 1 cup for the last step)
1/3 cup honey
1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 tablespoons lemon juice
leftover pie crust
1 cup chopped candied nuts (recipe BTVC) or plain chopped nuts--any or all of pecans, almonds, walnuts and cashews
1/4 cup almond flour
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. *The ingredients are the measurements for an 11 inch pie plate. Please adjust accordingly for a smaller pie plate.
2. CRUST: Process all together in a food processor until it forms a ball. The butter will still be visible in the dough. Form into a flat circle and wrap in wax paper. Chill until firm in fridge or freezer.
3. When cold and firm remove from freezer and place between two large pieces of wax paper. Let it soften just a bit - enough so that you can begin to roll it. Roll out to a flat circle large enough to cover the bottom and sides of the pie plate. If it tears or falls apart do not worry, just patch it together in the pie plate.
4. Save the leftovers and put them back in the freezer for use in the topping mixture.
5. Bake in 300 degree F. oven for 20 minutes until cooked through and light brown.
7. BLUEBERRY FILLING: Combine all in a large pot and boil approx. 20 minutes until it thickens up a bit. Stir often and don't let it burn.
8. The real thickening will take place when it cools. I put it in the fridge overnight.
9. But a few hours will also do the job.
10. TOPPING: Remove left over pie crust from freezer and grate it with a cheese grater.
11. Add chopped nuts, almond flour, and cinnamon.
12. Smoosh and crumble all the ingredients together with your fingers to make a crumbly topping.
13. PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER: Remove the blueberry mixture from fridge and stir in the last cup of frozen blueberries in to the pie filling. This will help to keep it thick while it heats in the oven.
14. Spoon the filling into the baked pie shell.
15. Sprinkle topping on top of filling.
16. Bake at 300 F. for 30 minutes.
17. Eat warm or cool and, if you are really feeling outrageous, add an enormous dollop of whipped crème fresh.