3 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 large cauliflower
5 *spring onions, chopped(white and light green parts)
2 whole eggs
salt and pepper to taste
1. After shredding the zucchini on the course grater of the Cuisinart, put it in a bowl and salt it. Let it sit for 15 minutes. This draws out the excess liquid.
2. Place the zucchini in a tea towel and twist. Wring out as much water as you can.
3. Cut cauliflower into florettes and steam until soft. Drain, cool and mash.
4. Once mashed, squeeze out the liquid the same way as with the zucchini.
5. Fry the chopped onions, until caramelized, in a bit of oil.
6. Combine the zuchinni, cauliflower, and onions together in a bowl and add the two eggs.
7. Mix with your hands to get everything evenly distributed.
8. Add salt and pepper to taste.
9. Cover the bottom of a non-stick frying pan in oil and when hot, add a heaping teaspoon of the mixture to the oil. Flatten it out a little with the back of the spoon.
10. Remember, the only ingredient in this recipe that has to be cooked is the egg. So these do not have to cook for long, therefore, turn when browned to your liking.
11. These can be made ahead of time and reheated uncovered in a 250 degree oven
12. Serve alone or with yoghurt and /or apple sauce. Makes approximately 18 latkes.