1/2 pound prunes or dried apricots or a combination
juice of 1 med. orange
1 tablespoon orange zest
1/3 - 1/2 cup water
honey to taste
3 cups (firmly packed) almond flour
1/3 cup cold butter
1/4 - 1/3 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1. FILLING: Simmer all ingredients until prunes/apricots are completely soft.
2. Let cool and puree. Mixture should be quite thick and sticky. Note: any leftovers make great "jam".
3. DOUGH: Combine all dough ingredients thoroughly (I used a food processor).
4. Shape dough into several flat disks; wrap the disks in plastic and chill several hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
5. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a cookie sheet.
6. Place a disk of dough on a sheet of plastic wrap or wax paper and top with more plastic wrap/wax paper (keep remaining disks in fridge). Roll or pat out dough between plastic wrap/wax paper until about 1/8" thick.
7. Using 2-in. cookie cutters, cut out circles. Peel off the bits of "in-between" dough from around the shapes.
8. Use a spatula to place the circles, one by one on a small, separate sheet of plastic wrap.
9. Place about 1 1/2 teaspoons filling on the center of each circle. Using the wrap, carefully bring the edges of the circle together to form a three-cornered shape, pressing corners together so filling stays inside the dough (the filling should peek out in the middle of the triangle).
10. Place shaped cookies on cookie sheet; cookies will not spread while baking.
11. Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until edges start to brown.
12. Let cool on cookie sheet before removing.