1 1/3 cups blanched slivered almonds
4 tablespoons honey
4 large eggs, separated
5 teaspoons packed grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Butter and flour 9-inch-diameter cake pan with 1 1/2-inch-high sides. Line bottom of pan with waxed paper.
3. Finely grind almonds with 1 tablespoon honey in processor.
4. Combine yolks, 1 tablespoon honey, lemon peel, cinnamon and salt in medium bowl. Using electricmixer, beat until thick and smooth, about 2 minutes.
5. Stir in almond mixture. Using clean beaters, beat egg whites in large bowl until soft peaks form.
6. Gradually add 2 tablespoons honey, beating until stiff but not dry.
7. Fold large spoonful of whites into almond mixture. Gently fold in remaining whites.
8. Transfer batter to pan. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
9. Cool in pan on rack. Turn out onto platter. Remove waxed paper.