BEEF BAKED WITH YOGHURT AND BLACK PEPPER
2 pounds boneless stewing beef cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/4 cup SCD plain yogurt, lightly beaten
3 medium onions
6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 teaspoon dried ginger
1/8-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
2. Heat the oil in a wide flameproof casserole type pot over a medium high flame. When hot, put in as many meat pieces as the pot will hold easily in a singe layer.
3. Brown the meat on all sides and set aside in a deep plate. Brown all meat this way and then remove.
4. Put the onions and garlic in the same pot and turn heat to medium.
5. Stir fry the onions and garlic for about 10 minutes or until browned.
6. Add the meat and juices as well as the ginger, cayenne, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir for a minute.
7. Now add the yogurt and bring to a simmer.
8. Cover tightly, first with aluminum foil and then the lid to the pot.
9. Bake in the oven for 1 1/2 hours. If the meat is not tender after this time, add 1/2 cup boiling water, cover tightly and bake another 20-30 minutes.
10. Stir before serving.