2 small packages white beans
2 yellow onions
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 rutabaga, grated
2/3 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
pepper to taste
cooked chicken pieces (optional)
1. Soak white beans overnight. Discard soaking liquid and rinse.
2. Cover with clean water, bring to boil and skim off foam that forms.
3. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer for 2 hours.
4. At end of cooking time, when beans are soft, bring to rapid boil for at least five minutes. This is what makes the soup creamy.
5. When ready to eat, place a couple slices of Swiss cheese on top of soup in bowls. Add optional cooked chicken to soup.